Prof. Nina Atanassova, PhD, DSci
☎ 02 870 65 47 / 02 979 2342
The main topic is fundamental and applied research on the regulatory mechanisms of cell differentiation; identification of markers for different stages of development by applying experimental approaches and clinical studies.
Pathogenic mechanisms of various diseases (degenerative, cancer, autoimmune diseases and infertility) are elucidated. This involves development of novel methods and identification of biomarkers applicable in diagnostics, thus opening new perspectives for prevention and treatment.
Experimental model systems are designed to evaluate the impact of the environment and lifestyle on human health.
These studies are of high priority for the human health and environment.
Research priorities involved:
Biological role and mechanism of action of endogenous and exogenous factors (physical, chemical agents, hormones and growth factors) on reproductive, nerve, digestive system and blood that are of fundamental and practical importance for:
- identification of biomarkers for male infertility and for risk assessment of endocrine disruptors for male reproductive health
- elucidation of etiopathogenesis of male infertility
- studies on hematopoietic progenitor cells for the needs of hematology, transplantology and regenerative medicine.
- recommendations for healthy diets and nutritional supplements.
- impact of environment and lifestyle on human health in condition of еxperimental model systems.
Functional morphology and cellular interactions in the nervous system with directions:
- myelination and demyelination of the central nervous system (CNS): experimental modeling of multiple sclerosis, etiopathogenesis and developing of serum biomarkers;
- morphology and reactivity of brain phagocytic system and brain cells during experimentally induced degenerative diseases and disabilities, identification of new diagnostic markers for pathological changes in the CNS;
- creation of experimental models for studying the biological activity of beta
-amiloidogene peptides directly involved in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's diseases;
- lipid profile - an indicator of the extent of the brain damage during experimentally provoked cerebral ischemia, hypoxia and after various diets
Complex morphological, histopathological and immunological studies on autoimmune and allergic dermatoses.
Development of new methods for fluorescent cyto- and histochemical localization of various enzymes in normal and cancer tissues